Thread: Which to pick?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
crod

Garage
I have to agree 100% with Johnny, especially considering I was on the exact same boat as you, looking at two 2001 Boxster S at the time, one with 35k miles and another with 70k. Long story short, the 35k one had never been tracked or even redlined as the PPI showed. It sure had a Powerchip, racing stainless steel braking lines, etc. But was in near mint condition and most of the regular maintenance done properly. I bought it in CA and drove 5,000km across the USA to bring it home, on the east coast of Canada. Performed flawlessly and to this day still runs with its original clutch, now with 43,000 miles.
The other car had double the miles and was similarly priced but at the end the much lower mileage plus the new transmission Porsche had replaced under warranty (not abused, simply a failed transmission - that does happen), won me over.
Regarding RMS/IMS/Clutch it can be done all in one shot. Around here the independent shops especialized in Porsches can do it in under 12 hous of labor. At $78 an hour, this is under $1000. I bought a new clutch, waiting for the day I will have to replace it, for around $450-500 from what I remember. The LN IMS kit is in the $600 range if I am not mistaken. So for around $2200 you can have all that done in a car with 47k miles.
And you do not need to do it now. I have been buying parts that I do not even need since day one so when time comes my only expense not paid for is the labor.

So my vote, assuming a PPI is done and does indeed show the car was not abused, is #1.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote