View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
shlim8

I had a '86 944 (updated dash model) - as mentioned previously, it's a wonderfully balanced car, fun to drive and I loved the shape. But it just did not have enough power from the 2.5 NA engine. The chassis can handle alot more power.

That car cost me $$$$$$$ to set right but once I got the suspension, steering and misc interior bits right - it served me faithfully for the next 3 years.

I find that 944 parts are alot more expensive than for the boxster.... not sure if that's changed but I doubt it. Especially the control arms and steering rack (ouch, I still remember how much I paid for that one).

I find that the 2.5l NA engine seems to spring oil leaks every 3-4 years.... mine was rebuilt just before I bought it and the owner after me that took it apart again to fix oil leaks just a year after that. Having said that, I think the 2.5l engine is pretty reliable and doesn't keep you awake at night, wondering if it's going to blow up tomorrow.

Also, the rear glass hatch is notorious for water leakage... the rear hinges weaken, the glass hatch misalignes and water comes in. The sunroof has ridiculously shallow water "gutters" so if any thing gets into the water drain pipes, it's prone to leak into the car (day 1 with the car was like that with water pouring over my head on the drive home).

And yes, I had some noise from the transmission which goes away when I depressed the clutch, but it was minor and I just left it alone.

Overall, it's still a great car and I still miss it.

Last edited by shlim8; 06-08-2011 at 05:10 PM.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote