View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 10:55 AM   #15
eslai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986President
I am very interested in this topic but I can't follow all the terminology used. Can someone translate for me into english ?

What does slip the clutch mean exactly? Is that the same as feather the clutch?

And can someone clarify this statement? Clutch-move into 1st and move towards first. Is he trying to say something about shifting up into 1st and down into 1st? What is reduce shifter travel when clutch is disengaged mean? Is he just saying when the clutch is pressed in don't move the stick between gears alot?

Any wisdom on sitting at a stoplight on a slope with cars jammed in behind you and trying to avoid the car from rolling back?

Thanks in advance.
Slipping the clutch = feathering the clutch. Both are bad.

I'm not entirely sure what he meant by that paragraph about clutch-move into 1st instead of move towards first clutch bit too. But the basic gist of it I think was that he wants to minimize shifter movement when the clutch is disengaged (meaning you've got the clutch pedal down).

I'm not sure that that's what SD987 means though because that could be misconstrued in a lot of ways so probably should wait for clarification.

One thing that he said there that I understood was that you shouldn't ride the clutch pedal. You should only have the clutch pedal in when you are shifting. Get off the pedal as soon as you can.

Keep your hand off the shifter too. Your hands should be on the steering wheel--you touch the shifter when you are shifting, that is all. Don't rest your hand on it either--that can be bad for the shift forks, among other things.

As for sitting on a slope, well, put it in neutral. When it's time to go, put it in first, then be really good with the engagement point. A lot of people that are new to manual cars will use the parking brake to aid in this task. when I was learning though I just found that to be "too many things going on at once"--always confused me to use the parking brake.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote