View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
tonycarreon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8
BTW, will both fans come on when the a/c is on ? or just one ? I checked the other day and only driver side (for RHD, passenger side for LHD) was on... WHen the water temp went up more both fans came on.

Is this normal ? Or do I have a fan problem ?
assuming the needle positions are the same, regardless if it's F or C on the guage, that's about when all of my fans are on high...

there are three fans.
1. the engine compartment fan is the one you describe - on the right side of the car, looking forward. when the car is put away hot, you'll more than likely hear this one come on even if the car is switched off. the other "vent" is the air intake. if you feel air blowing out of that vent you have a bigger problem.

2. radiator fans. there are two, one for the L and R radiator. they come on with the a/c and have a low and high speed. on high, i swear the car sounds like a hover craft. more than likely you'll only hear the engine fan kick on when you're in the car.

i believe there are some threads about the car running hot because the front fans either do not come on, or do not spin up to high. this is usually the result of resistor problems.

if you have a duramtric (enthusiast works) you can test it by turning them on and off. otherwise your porsche dealer may be kind enough to test it with a porsche diagnostic tool.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 05-31-2011 at 12:28 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote