View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 11:46 PM   #7
clubhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
...I started using bi-directional performance tires on the rear so they can be rotated without coming off the rims. ...
Honestly, I don't even bother rotating the tires. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I reckon bidirectional tires does not grip as well in the wet compared to directional ones.

The rubber on most tires will lose most of its effectiveness after about 2 years on the road, irregardless of the amount of thread left. Rubber ages. I've seen some cars which has been garaged with very little mileage on them. The tires may look brand new but if you try pressing the rubber on those cars compared to brand new tires, you can tell that they have 'hardened' over time.

I change my tires after 2 years even if there's decent amount of thread left. Just take the car for a track day before changing them to 'maximise' the returns

If I'm driving some Jap sedan, I would bother to rotate since grip and handling is not what I'm after if I drive those cars. On a Porsche, I think it's considered a sacrilege to rotate tires Especially so if you can afford to spend on a Porshce but want to save a couple of hundred on tires... no offence people.
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote