View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
deliriousga

That was some of the best advice I've ever seen on shifting. Awesome post SD987!

My 2 personal favorites:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Take the time to come to a full stop when going R -1 or 1 - R. I’ve been known to visibly wince when I see someone doing this. You're dealing with the two strongest gears and switching while rolling between the two just equals BAD. It’s a clutch, not a momentum-reverser.
I get chills when I see this. Don't do it in your automatic either if you want your tranny to last any time at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Don't shift mid-turn. You're momentarily taking the drive component away when your car most needs it. I kick myself a lot on this one, instead of shifting down to second or third before a turn, I do it in the middle…not exactly powering through.
It can be dangerous in some cases. If you're going too fast and start to slip, you have no gear to help you get back in control.

One thing not mentioned that I see a lot is shifting up too early to "baby" the car. You should never shift to the next gear if you will be below 2K rpm after shifting. The owner's manual says 1500, but I personally like 2K so if you miss a little you're still above the 1500. Accelerating at low RPMs puts a huge amount of stress on the drive shaft and the engine. I read a tech question in Panorama one time from someone who would never take the Boxster above 3K rpm to help it last. They're probably killing their drive shaft and engine by stressing it soooo hard.

The best advice I think I could come up with is drive it like it's a, oh I don't know, PORSCHE! :dance:
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote