View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #13
schnellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
So, after thinking it over, I pleaded guilty to a broken headlight (a "legal fiction", as the prosecutor referred to it), paid my fine and left. Was it a great deal? Hell, I don't know, but it seemed like the best thing to do at the time...
I got shot in the back with radar in Tremont City, Ohio. I had left the village, but since they don't have signs telling you when you can resume 55, they can shoot you anywhere they feel like it and claim you're still in the village limits. Anyway, I got a lawyer and they did the same thing, called it driving with a broken light, fined me $100 bucks and the insurance company doesn't get involved. It's still annoying, but my insurance won't go up.

When I was living in Texas the law allowed you to take traffic school and erase "any record of the ticket." This meant that the next time you got stopped you could opt for traffic school again because there was no record of your having done it before. I went to traffic school a couple of times and it was a joke. It was the same people there each time.

In Germany they had on the spot fines. They'd give you a receipt and you were on your way. I drove a Carrera, kept some Deutsche Marks in the glove box, and never worried about my license or insurance. A friend in the PCA who drove a Turbo once got a letter in the mail from the Polizei saying send us the fine and your driver's license. They had him on camera driving double the speed limit and passing cars on the zebra in a posted section of the Autobahn.

Last edited by schnellman; 05-17-2011 at 04:48 AM.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote