Thread: CEL - Fuel Evap
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Burg Boxster

Go find another AZ or national parts store and have them give you the actual code #s (for free as they do). Don't settle for the generic overall code or what they say they think the code means - get the actual P-number(s).

For instance, I had an issue not along ago on another car and the AZ guy just kept trying to tell me I had "multiple cylinder mis-fire" with his explanation "due to cheap gas 'round here". You'll be fine w/ a reset and a bottle of fuel system cleaner". I told him I'd be happy to buy a bottle of Techron even though I'm sure it's not the issue but I want the actual codes not the generic 'multiple cylinder mis-fire' code. See, I was 3/4 thru a tank a gas that day so I was certain in wasn't a 'bad gas' issue or it would have popped up way sooner. Plus a cylinder misfire isn't something you want to just hope it to goes away... especially w/o knowing the real cause.

Finally he gave them to me and as suspected, had nothing to do w/ cheap gas... Without them, I would have gone after a completely different issue looking at all 8 cylinders, the fule system or ? and possibly had the car towed. Instead, I now knew it was only 2 cylinders. So, w/ a better focus point, I started at the coil packs for those two cylinders which looked fine and no leaks. Then followed the hose for that bank and bingo, found it had come loose near the intake. I still bought the Techron b/c I needed it for another car.

As said, it's the only way to start looking in the right direction or you'll get as many guesses as there are posters in your thread.

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 05-11-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote