Thread: Chicks Car?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #75
promark420

Who cares?

My dad has a '97 993 Turbo, and it definitely has a lot more power than the Boxster. However, it isn't nearly as fun overall. Would I rather have his 993 or my 896? I'll take the 986. It is the most complete performance vehicle I've driven in my young life. My stepmom had a Viper. I hated driving it. Sure it was powerful--almost too powerful for its own good, but it wasn't any fun to drive. It was fun to accelerate, but not drive. My sister's VW beetle was more fun to drive than the Viper, but that's just me.

It bothers me when society stereotypes gener into absolutes. I've been dating a lady for the past 4 years, and here are some differences.

I love yogurt; in fact, I got her into yogurt. I prefer Greek-style yogurt since it has double the protein and half the fat and sugar. That sounds like a man's food to me.

She loves all sports, especially the big three. She was a sports writer in college, covering UF football, basketball, softball...basically everything. She almost became a sports writer for a small newspaper until she realized how brutal the lifestyle is. My favorite sport is tennis. Second is the NFL. Third is soccer. A distant fourth is boxing. The rest could disappear and I'd be fine.

I cook. I love to cook. It's fun and relaxing to me. It also lets my creative side shine. She hates it. It scares her. The deal is that I cook and she cleans, and that's perfectly fine with me.

I love metal. It's my favorite genre of music, and I dare you to find more talented musicians or range of emotions once you get into the avant garde (Arcturus, Opeth, Cynic, etc.). I also love classical. To me there's nothing better than blasting some angry Mahler and driving a Boxster on a winding road. She likes classic rock; Led Zepplin is her favorite band.

I enjoy Scotch whisky, craft beer, cigars and shaving with a straight razor. You can't tell me those aren't stereotypically manly. She's delving into those (minus the razor). I also drink a lot of tea--green, white, black, herbal, red, you name it. She can't stand tea.

Wrap up everything about my personality based on my hobbies/passions--including my argument about what makes a man "manly" or not--and I think you can see why I enjoy the Boxster so much. More than anything, I think it's pretty obvious that I really don't care. No one will care if they've driven a Boxster. Hey look--yogurt!