View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
eslai

Upshifting and Downshifting

"I am interested in learning more about proper clutch use, upshifting and downshifting to maximize performance and minimize clutch and engine wear. Could you start a new thread and discuss this? I'm all ears (or eyes as it were)."

Well, we can discuss it if people want.

Minimizing clutch wear is easy--don't use the clutch, don't slip the clutch. It'll last longer.

Minimizing engine wear is also easy--don't get into high revs.

Maximizing performance is a toughy though. What is "performance"? Does that pertain to making the transmission last longer, or are we talking about lap times?

Actually, that's not as hard to categorize as one might think since "lap times" and "tranny reliability" aren't mutually exclusive. Learning how to rev-match your downshifts is definitely good for drivetrain wear, for instance.

There is one key to maximizing durability of parts: "Drive smoothly":

- Don't throw the car into second and slam the throttle so fast that the car jerks. That's extra force that's going through little itty bitty gearsets like a hammer.

- Don't let the wheels hop or spin because every time those tires find traction you're hammering on your gears with your engine.

- Be smooth with the throttle--don't just let off the gas from full throttle, don't tap the throttle fast when cruising around in first and second gear, etc.

First and second gear are your most powerful gears, with second being your real workhorse gear. It's very easy to damage these two gears if you're not careful.

Anyone else that wants to contribute, please do!

(Now, with all of that in mind, I'm still wondering how I broke my tranny, as I know all of this and don't beat on the car, IMHO...)
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote