View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 03:03 AM   #4
JoeFromPA

My post is more of a "this is the stuff I wish had been written explicitly" in the DIY guides on pelican parts and pedros garage.

I cannot stress enough how much easier this job would be if you drop the coolant hoses - however, you'll then need to re-fill and burp the coolant. AFAIK, that's relatively easy as long as you burp it correctly, but some people have had issues getting all the air out of the rather complex system.

Also, Pedro mentions getting new rubber spacers (they are about 1/8" thick, slide over the mounts protruding metal where the bolts go through, and you can see them in my side by side pic). Mine were in brand-new condition, but my OLD mount and new mount had different shapes to the inner metal piece inside the rubber. So I wound up taking a utlity knife to the spacers and shaving off a bit of very, very hard rubber. Worked just fine, just giving you a heads up.

Don't be shy about using pb blaster on the bolts, but DO wear eye protection under there. There's alot of crap that will fall on your face - I was washing it out of my hair for 15 minutes in the shower - and even regular eye glasses barely protected my eyes.

You will want a 1/2 drive socket for the 15mm bolts that you can access with a socket - though they are "only" tightened to 34lb/ft (supposedly), mine required a 1/2" drive and bracing my foot against something to push my entire body weight into it before it broke free. A 1/2" breaker bar would obviously be even better.

You can do this by only jacking up the rear of the car (I did), but I'd be very hesitant to proceed that way without alot of protection. You'll be shifting alot of the car's weight around, and the front wheels will neither have an emergency brake or a transmission lock to hold them in place.

If you keep the coolant hoses in place (the big rubber ones), just know that you can really can manhandle the hell out of them - you'll need to to get the mount out and back in. Just make absolutely sure you took both plastic brackets off - the ones holding the black plastic coolant hoses in the tunnel running to the front of the car.

So far, my 1st to 2nd shift does not feel much better but I have barely driven this thing. I suspect my next step will be trans fluid.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote