View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
tdurnan

Simple Rear Speaker Project

So I'm new to the board and have read all of the rear speaker addition threads. I set out to install my own set and am really pleased with the results and thought I'd share what I did.

1. Remove rear storage shelf

2. Took the two open shelves out of the compartment following the Pelican speaker kit instructions as a how to guide.

3. So here's where is gets funny sounding but I bought a mesh garbage bin from Ikea to get the grating for the speakers.

4. Once you have the sections cut from the garbage bin use the front of the removed shelves as a forming guide to create the perfect lip detail and fit to the opening

5. Paint the steel black to match interior

6. Install grates with hot glue same as Pelican kit

7. Install speaker grill cloth just behind the metal grills again with hot glue, but make sure that you glue to the edges and not the center of the grills so that the glue is not seen. This gives that blacked out look to the speaker area.

8. I use the removed shelf baskets as the base of my speaker mounts. Taking 1/2" x 1" x2 1/2" pieces of MDF I built simple supports for the 3 1/2" speakers that I chose. I drilled two small holes for each support to properly secured them to the baskets with screws.

9. Reinstall the shelf baskets with original screws back into rear shelf compartment

10. Wire out to connector of your choice ( I used a standard trailer connector because of the perfect 4 connector fit. (RCA connectors would be a slightly better choice likely)

11. Ran wires behind interior trim work to firewall and out to amp area which I will install soon.

If anyone is interested I can send you pictures of the completed install compartment. It looks absolutely factory quality and did the whole thing for $55 including speakers that were on sale (JBL 327).

Todd
tdurnan is offline   Reply With Quote