Thread: Chicks Car?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #50
PhilNotHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinster
"Man's car" "woman's car" - they are just words with no solid meaning. Once again the imprecision of the human language lends itself to confusion, exploitation and cause for unnecessary anxiety among those susceptible individuals.

This person observed the fact that a higher proportion of women buy Boxsters over Caymans and 911s correctly. But did not understand the reason behind this observation. And furthered his error by trying to imply the car is not "manly" in amidst of his own confusion.

I think women buy Boxsters because:
1. Boxsters are cheaper - women still don't make as much money as men in the workforce overall.
2. Women don't care about 0-100 bragging rights as much - so the speed of the higher models isn't a huge lure.
3. The Boxster is a very good looking convertible - and more women would prefer to have pretty cars over V8s with nostrils on the bonnet.

All these are valid reasons for women preferring the Boxster. And if guys decide to buy the Boxster for similar reasons, they are just equally as valid.

Anyone who doesn't understand this is not a smart person in this regard, and their opinion on the matter warrants no further examination.

We can take pity in their lack of analytical prowess and move on.
My wife says too much hp scares her. I convinced her that the 42 hp gain over the 2004 286S was not going to be a problem, especially with PSM. And she has had no problems.

(the 360 scares her with ~410 hp with tubi).

I do not consider the Boxster to be a girls car. It is a driver's car. Any gearhead that doesn't enjoy driving a Boxster must be addicted to mega horsepower rather than a precision driving instrument. I have never been enamored with US muscle cars that can go like stink in a straight line and cannot turn for squat IMVHO.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 03-21-2011 at 09:52 PM.
PhilNotHill is offline   Reply With Quote