View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
insite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
No offense, but I don't think a helicoil is a proper repair for this. Helicoils require you drill an oversized hole in the piece and there's no real strength - it's essentially just a spring. Helicoils are notorious for coming loose (perhaps due to improper installation, but I've seen several fail). This isn't a stripped sparkplug hole, it will need to withstand some good forces on it.
helicoils have plenty of strength if installed properly. the ones that come loose do so because of improperly prepared bores. generally, people don't use drill guides & as a result, the hole winds up being a little too large for the STI tap. the result is weak threads. a second mistake people make is not going full depth. they install a 10mm helicoil where the original bore was much deeper.

IMO a helicoil is fine here; the fastener is large & deep. it will need to be installed full depth, which is about 24mm. FYI, there is a steel threaded insert in the car's body; this is what you'll be drilling into. USE A DRILL GUIDE. USE LUBRICANT ON THE TAP & ON THE DRILL. (boelube is the best lubricant to use here, btw)

Quote:
The Timecert requires an oversized hole as well, but as it's basically a threaded bushing, it completely fills the hole providing great strength. And it won't pop out, it literally locks itself in place - the only way to remove it is to drill it out.
time sert is a great product. in steel, this is overkill. in aluminum, it's an excellent solution, especially where the primary stresses are strain rather than shear. (most here will be shear). again, installation technique is very important.

Quote:
Also, it shouldn't take 2-3 hrs. to do the repair (not allowing for access, etc.). Watch the demos on the site, they are installed in under 30 secs. OK... by an experienced person, but that translates into minutes for an inexperienced one. And, they're using a cordless drill to drill the hole, the countersink and Timecert install. It's simple enough to hold the drill sufficiently perpendicular to the hole to do the repair. Watch the demos and see what I mean.
the point of providing a duration was to allow the OP to get a sense of his cost to have this done. the 2-3 hours includes TOTAL time to do the job, which obviously includes lifting the vehicle, draining the coolant, removing the hoses, removing the mount, prepping the bore, & installing the repair. i have done many of these; plan for more than 30sec.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote