View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #17
Jake D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn
Sorry to hear you're hitting a rough patch.
Did you loose your teaching job because of all the education cuts?
I'm in the budget committee of our school district, have to cut about $20 million and more than 130 teachers will be fired. What happened to our children being our future?

The only words of encouragement that I can give is that you're lucky not to have a wife and kids to support, that really limits your possibilities. The world is still your playground and you have a nice ride already to get you to wherever opportunities beckon.
I was working for a charter school with an at-will contract in a crappy part of town. I was there a little more than a year and was pretty miserable but still trying to be thankful that I had a job. I found out more about the "company" that I worked for and I just morally didn't agree with what was going on at the school. Putting 35 6th graders into one classroom when most of them had IEP's or behavior problems, scripted reading programs that hadn't been working, keeping students who we couldn't accommodate their needs, the list goes on and on...

After I learned a little bit more about how the company operated, it was very clear that we were in the business of making $ and not providing a good education. We were suppose to have an open door policy with out principal so I talked to her about some the things that were going on. Not petty things or gripes, but serious issues that directly effected the students and myself. Well they didn't like that much so I was fired. Saw 2 different lawyers about it and they basically said it wouldn't be worth pursuing.

As a school we were spending around $642,000 a year on "rent." The Principal fired an older black guy and hired her husband who had a G.E.D and was getting paid roughly $10gs more than the teachers. He was titled "office manager," and had been working there since I had been and the day I was fired he had to ask me what the phone number was to the school. It was crazy there.

You may have heard about this company, Imagine Schools. Here's a link to a site that explains a little bit more about this company and even provides the tax documents.

http://www.policymattersohio.org/ImagineSchools.htm