View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
Steve Tinker

Seduced by another........not

For one reason or another, I've always had this feeling that owning a 986 Boxster (and maybe a 996 Carrera) is tantamount to being a poor relative in the Porsche family. You know the score - water cooled (ugh), poor man's Porsche, not the real deal, no retail value and, even worse, that reliability question........

Suitably seduced, I have over the last few months been looking out for a suitable "real" Porsche as depicted by, and according to, the Rennlist and Rentech Forums - and this means owning at least a 911SC, a 964 or a (wallet allowing) 993.

A couple of days ago, my local (Australian) dealer in all things classic (Jaguars, BMW's, Alfa Romeo's, MB's etc, etc) advertised a 1989 Porsche 964 Carrera 4, in a rare colour combo, minimal ownership with only 94,000 km (58,000 miles) on the odo.
Looked real good and my wife suggested I go and have a looksee. I'm pretty handy with the wenches and (I assume) I should be able to maintain such a classic, as I do with my current Porsche.
I drove my 2001 Boxster S to the emporium (just in case they wanted to give me a trade in price) and I started looking at this classic "must have" - last of the air cooled "real" Porsches. After checking out the oil leaks, non existant A/C, spotted history and questionable ergonomics, it was maybe time for a 10 mile drive.

To put this into perspective, I realise I am driving a 22 year old car.

I don't expect GT3 ceramic brake capability.
I realise that suspension and roadholding have improved, but.....
I didn't expect the car to be slower than my Boxster.
Wind noise...
Tyre roar.....
Ear plugs please!!
And I NEVER listen to my radio either so don't say I'm missing out on the flat 6 symphony.....

I have also driven 3 other 911's recently (a 1978 2.7 and 2 x 198* SC 's) before this one. And they all drove the same - noisy, slightly vague suspension, questionable ergonomics, very poor ventilation and basically that old car "cloth cap" driving experience....
Yes, the doors closed with a vault like thunk, the leather was very impressive for its age, the paint quality was really good, & the carpets / fittings made my 986 look low rent...

BUT - after the drive, do you know the best bit....

Getting back into my poor mans Porsche, twisting the key and that badmouthed unreliable engine stabbing into motion - I dipped that light actioned clutch, snicked into gear & without a hint of any hissy fits, eased into the traffic and was off......
To a mere mortal like me, the Boxster handles like dream, the performance is accessable, the S brakes are class leading and the driving experience is sublime....
What a relief
Cracked a beer when I got home and celebrated not being seduced by another...

In retrospect, don't believe everything that you read on the websites (including this if you are a dyed in the wool 964 believer), but, please consider the fact that the 986 / 996 is by far and away the best value for money Porsche that you can buy.

If you don't believe me, go and try an early model P car and come back and convince me differently......