View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Lil bastard

When I hear the term 'whine' used in an auto box, my first thought is low fluid. The whine is produced by a fluid starved internal pump or the torque converter. There is no dipstick or other easy method to check fluid. You can jack the car up level and with the drain plug removed, you should have a slight drip - fluid level when cold is 11mm(?) below the drain hole.

Contrary to Porsche's marketing brochures (incl. Owners Manual), the tranny maker ZF Getrieb recommends a fluid and filter change every 45k mi., if you're over that, you're due.

The dealer will charge you $800+ (probably more now - $800 was 3 yrs. ago).

A fairly simple DIY will cost about $250. About 3 hrs. max. Tools required are a 17mm hex bit (drain plug), 10mm socket, and various sockets (15mm, 17mm) to remove cross braces and sway links, and also some sort of pump to add the new fluid. Supplies incl. 9 qts. Esso LT7114 Fluid, a filter and a new pan gasket.

Use the search function for a complete play-by-play, but the condensed version is to drain the fluid, remove the pan (after getting access), change filter, clean up mating surfaces of pan and tranny, install new gasket and pan, refill.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-12-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote