View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
shlim8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Great! Did you notice any difference with all the work in the back. That is a lot to do, I would think something wasn't quite right with the tie rods. It's a nice feeling t know the rear of the car is pretty much new now.
Actually ALL the suspension components front and back are new now ... ha ha.. it's a good feeling knowing that I don't have to worry about them for awhile.

I changed the rear control arms/links as I already had them. I had ordered both front and rear control arms/links together to save on shipping cost (but 2 of the rears were out of stock hence separate front and rear install). I figured that 10 yr old rubber bushings can't be in that great condition anyway. It turned out that the rear control arms and links were in fairly good condition, possibly 2 of the bushings (mounting close to the firewall) might be suspect but not all that bad. And the control arm seem rather stiff in the upward/downward movement though, unlike the front.

The rear suspension feels more fluid now and takes rough roads better now. But it's marginal and could be my imagination.

Come and think about it, my mechanic did tell me that one of the tie rods just came off by itself when he undid the bolt to the ball joint. That might be the cause of the vibration - either it wasn't tighted properly or not snapped in place... not sure if that's possible though. Or maybe the tapered part of the ball joint was just worn ??

Now, it's the breather valve that I need to tackle.... my parts have arrived !
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote