View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
jester

Thanks MrSparkle. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm not too worried about it either... mine has happened less recently but I have exactly the same "symptoms" as you. Hot or cold... right at 3k.

I just accelerate hard now past the 3k mark to make sure I don't hear it

I didn't go the dealer route yet... no time and I figured they would give me the run around too.

Mine has an S in the VIN. I heard most of them are built in Finland though....

Now I'm looking at my exhaust tip.... I'll have to take a pic of it... it seems a little low compared to the online pics I've seen of the S. Maybe I'm just thinking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsparkle
I have the same problem in my 987S. It only happens when you first drive off a exactly 3k rpm and some times going downhill. I can get it to rattle 90% of the time when the engine is cold or hot if I stop the car, shut the engine off, wait a couple minutes and startup and drive. Try that and see if you can get it to rattle and use that as your test if you take it to the dealer.

I took mine to the dealer and they gave me the run around about it being a stuck valve lifter, nothing to worry about. The only way they would look at it if it was happening on a consistant basis. I'm not worried about it, but it's very annoying coming from my first Porsche.

I have 3k miles and it is still happens once in a while. It has calmed down a bit but not completely.

Here's a link on another forum that has a similar problem. http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16897

Btw, where was yours built in? My box was made in Finland.
Look at your VIN number at the 11th digit -

'S' means Stuttgart
'U' means Finland built.

Maybe there was a bad batch.

Please post if you have any luck with the dealer on this problem.

Now my passenger window is making noise when rolled up or down. I'm going to wait until I have a couple more problems before I take it in....but I still love my Box.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote