View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #7
mrsparkle

I just checkout the post myself.

Didn't know they updated it.

If you read further down in the post it states possible reasons why the rattling occurs.

"I think the sound is likely cavitation, which basically occurs when a pump is pressurizing oil with air in it or theres not enough oil feed to a pump. If the relief valve is opening too early or too much in cold running (ie higher viscosity oil which = higher pressure, and also reluctance to flow into the pump) its possible the pump is being starved of oil, or being fed oil with air in it.. The air is compressed (assuming for the mo that oil is incompressible) and implodes which over time will diesel (or burn) the oil, and will reduce the oil life, increase the acidity of the oil and damage components, making matters worse...

When cavitation occurs (particularly on leading edges of pressure equipment, ie pump lobes/gears) the material in these areas is damaged causing a drop in performance and "sealing" making the matter progressively worse. This may explain why a new oil pump helped for a short while, but eventually the problem came back..."
mrsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote