View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
Flavor 987S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Flavor 987S,

Why the change from Red Line oil? Are you seeing better UOA's with the Mobil 5W50?

Does the 993 Turbo hibernate with the 987S all winter? Or do you take it out if the weather is decent?

ddb
I changed to the Mobil 5W50 because I've always wanted to try this oil, but it is very hard to find. I have not seen a UOA on this oil yet. I'll see that in October 2011. I expect good results. Red Line was excellent (5W40). I may change in the future, again, to Castrol Syntech 5W50.

The 993 Turbo is sitting at home in my heated (cozy 68 degrees) garage with my wife's Mercedes. The 987S is stored off site in a rental garage. My brand new 2011 Explorer Limited (company car) sits on the driveway. I have a 3 car garage, but the 3rd bay is a work shop.

I got the Turbo in November 2009. I drove her a few times last winter, because she was new, I wanted to play, and learn a little bit about her prior to the driving season. I hibernated her this winter, mainly due to salt residue concerns, and liability issues. It was just too much work keeping her pristine clean. I'll have the Turbo out in about a month (late March) and the Boxster will come out in mid April.

I drove the Boxster till mid October before hibernation. The Turbo was out till the Sunday after Thanksgiving. She LOVES cold weather. I really don't mind the long wait during hibernations. We both need a "rest" from each other. And come Spring, it's like getting 2 new Porsche again!
Attached Images

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote