View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #18
insite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Ouch, are we saying that long sweeping rights will develop high enough g loading on ps2s (as in without slicks)? What sustained g loading threshold are we talking about? I might just put my i-phone up on my dash and set an alarm

exactly right. something slightly less than 1G can cavitate the sump over several sustained seconds. the oil pools in the head AWAY from the scavenge pump & causes a starvation issue at the pickup tube. this is MOST common with left handers in a boxster (right handers in a 996), but depending upon forward accel / decel, this can hapen in either direction. slicks exacerbate the problem, but it DOES exhist even on street tires.

porsche rectifies this for racing customers with its 'motorsport' upgrade, which is basically the same as the X51 oiling mod. they replace the scavenge pumps with versions that have exterior as well as interior inlets. a tube is run from the OUTSIDE of the scavenge pumps, across the valve covers, and to the other side of the motor. this way, the scavenge pumps can draw oil from either side of the motor. they also add the deeper sump w/ a bit higher oil capacity for good measure. some people modify the baffles as well.

at any rate, all of the above is pretty pricey and still leaves the door to other oiling related failures WIDE open. the accusump pretty much eliminates those problems.

i think the accusump coupled with the 3rd radiator kit & the 'S' oil cooler will get you about as close to dead reliable as this motor can be without cracking it open.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote