View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
RandallNeighbour

Couple of items to share:

My fuel indicator needle never went to 4/4, so I thought it was a faulty sending unit and paid my mechanic to put in another. It resides inside the fuel tank along side the fuel pump. I was instructed to bring him the car with as little fuel in it as possible, so I ran it down to below the line. Then, I helped him by pouring in a cup of fuel in the tank as he monitored the PST tool to calibrate it.

The stupid thing still doesn't read full, even when I know it's full because fuel is pouring out the spout. And yes, he zip tied the fuel lines off inside the gas tank so the float could rise and fall unencumbered.

I asked him why my low fuel indicator light came on when I was at a 1/4 tank and if I could ignore it and he said, "Sure, if you want to replace your fuel pump regularly."

Evidently, the fuel keeps the pump from overheating and when you drive around on empty too often, it overheats and seizes up. So what you heard was validated by a Porsche tech.

So, I refill the second I see the lamp come on, or even earlier, mostly when I have a half tank or less. I recommend you do the same to insure a nice long fuel pump life.

Red clip: I have one too and have found that keeping the windows up is a great security measure. Makes reaching in all the more difficult. But painting it black defeats part of the purpose of it. With it on and in it's normal color, in-the-know thieves will be deterred by it, knowing the horn will sound if they reach in. Why camouflage it and invite them to attempt theft?

Secondly, I always forget it's on and it's red, not black like my interior! Man, I'd be even more forgetful and frustrated if it blended in with the rest of my car.

Use it for a while before you paint it. I think you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 02-25-2011 at 08:44 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote