View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

This is easy to check yourself. Get under the car and look to see where the oil is dripping. If its in the middle of the car where the engine and trans mate, then its likely RMS and take it in to have it verified.

If the drip is on the sides of the engine where the cam covers mate with the heads (just under the spark plugs), then its most likely the cam cover seals. Cam cover seals seep/drip/leak all of the time and its not a big deal unless its a lot.

Also, check to make sure that you don't have oil running down the side of the engine from one of the spark plug tubes. This will look at first like a cam cover leak but the oil is really coming from a leaking or cracked spark plug tube. If so, spark plug tubes are easily and cheaply replaced as a DIY project.

My '99 seeps (not leaks) oil from the cam covers and the dealer said to just let it be unless it gets a lot worse. They quoted $1,000 to re-seal the cam covers (they have to use a special sealant and its supposed to be quite a difficult job). My local indie shop quoted about $700 for the same work. So far, I've let it be and not touched it.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote