View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephendoherty62
Gents
I need to replace my convertible top, I would like to ask a question which would be the wiser action
1. I see a second hand top from a '99 on Ebay says in good condition including the frame for $700 plus $100 shipping
2. or buy a new canvass top from GAHH or other for around $600-800 and have it installed for $800 to $1000
I am making an assumption with option 1 that it would be easier to replace and that I could do it myself
pros and cons of the task at hand
cheers
01 Boxster S, 65,000 miles

Steve
Steve:

As long as the vinyl window in the used top from eBay is in good shape (i.e., clear and flexible), you are better off with that option, for a couple of reasons:

1. Removing the old top and installing the "new" top and frame assembly from the '99 is an easy DIY (less than 2 hours start to finish);
[the following DIY can clarify any questions you may have about the process: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/havingareplacementplasticwindowsewnin]

2. You will have your original top off, and then you can leisurely look around for a shop that is capable of installing a new vinyl window without removing the canvas from the frame (they need a "Juki" machine with a long throat), and that also saves on the wear and tear that stripping and replacing the canvas will cause.

3. You can then either sell your original top or resell the one you bought (because you will now have become an expert at removing and reinstalling the top and frame assembly ).

4. If you just get a new vinyl window sewn in without the luxury of time for finding the right shop, most shops just cut out the plastic window and leave its circumference still sewn in and the new window installation doesn't quite look "factory".

I'm not a big fan of the GAHH tops because of the size of the window (can't be helped because of the three-bow design of the '97 to '02 tops), and because of the somewhat restricted access to the engine compartment.

Although it's a little more expensive, if you want to get the best possible option, get an OEM top from an '03 or '04 (complete top and frame assembly) and install that with this DIY: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga'03-'04glasstopandframeona'97

One last thing... Keep in mind that you may have to "transfer" the roof liner from your '01S to the '99 if you go that route.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 02-23-2011 at 07:50 PM.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote