Thread: Rotors and pads
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
RandallNeighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness
yea, not sure when the last time they've been changed.
how big of an "uh oh" is that if it breaks or something? would spraying them with wd40 or pb blaster first minimize chances of making a mistake?
You probably won't have a problem removing the caliper bolts, so don't spray them anticipating a problem. I won't tell you anything about my front caliper bolt nightmare if you don't ask... suffice it to say it's a good idea to replace your rotors before the bolts heat-weld into the wheel carrier!

You do need to purchase new caliper bolts from a dealer though. They are designed to be torqued down once and only once. Not everyone knows this and some may even disagree with me, but it's the right thing to do.

BTW, I've used Mintex and Textar pads and while they're dusty, they have excellent stopping power for city use and that should be most important to you over dust accumulation. Additionally, I purchased Zimmerman cross drilled rotors with cadmium plated hats... whatever you buy, make sure you tape them off and spray the hats with high temp paint or get plated ones. They rust and look awful if you don't.

I also replaced my factory brake lines with braided stainless and they really go a long way to a firmer pedal. Mine are no-name brand from eBay, btw.

Be sure to buy a Motive power bleeder since your brake fluid should be changed once a year regardless of use. This makes it so easy and you can do this job much faster and by yourself.

One last thing.... buy two cans of really good brake fluid. Super blue or Gold is what I use, alternating each year between the colors so I can see the old leave and the new come through.

Brake bleeding should be done first from the furthest wheel from the reservoir and you work your way closer and closer.

This is a fun weekend project if you have everything you need (materials and tools) and it's really satisfying when you drive the car the first time and it stops much better (if you bought those stainless steel lines and flushed all the old fluid out of the system).
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote