View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 05:19 AM   #1
Dale_K

I don't understand the coolant bleeder/tank system

On my American vehicles there is a pressurized expansion tank at the high point of the cooling system. There is no bleeder valve, just a medium size hose entering at the base of the tank and there is no bleeding during refilling. Just keep adding coolant until you get to the right level recognizing some air will migrate to the tank at first and you might have to add a little more coolant.

Therefore I don't understand the reason and function of the Boxster system. Why are there two "caps"? If you never touched the bleeder would any entrapped air move into the pressuized tank? What does the diaphram inside the bleeder do?

I'm considering a coolant flush and replacement on the 2000 S I bought a couple of months ago. I just want to understand the system before I start working on it and have never encountered a separate bleeder except I have seen distinct bleeders on the motor plumbing when the up and down routing of hoses and components left an isolated high spot in the system. My 1990 Thunderbird had a bleeder vent on the motor.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote