View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #19
WhipE350
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Sasha, I haven't had them restored long enough to know how well they will wear, I have wiped them hard and nothing comes off at all, the dye is very resilient. I think the factory dye is lacquer based and the stuff from leatherique is water based which makes for easy cleanup and also means it can be thinned easy so that many layers can be put on.

As I indicated I did a little bit different process then recommended, since mine are black (and it may not matter the color at all) I put many layers on with dye that was thinned with water. This gave me a satin finish which I liked better then what I saw in the pictures on the leatherique website. I'll probably send George an email tonight and ask him if there are any downsides to putting on many thing layers, like how well will they stand up. For the tough spots like I showed in the photo I did come back with un-thinned dye and then used a damp cloth once it started to dry to blend it.

I was more careful on the first seat I did with the sanding and such, but once I realized it wouldn't hurt anything I was more aggressive on the drivers seat. I was really surprised the drivers seat came out so well. This was a great project I would recommend to everyone. If you want more details how I did it I can provide, just pm me or I can put them here.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote