View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 06:06 AM   #16
Paulsingh

Thanks Maurice, weathers a little bad here right now so I'll be looking at this again when the weather looks up. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoir
Paul:

Good work finding that hairline crack!

Since you have a '99, I am reasonably certain that it still has the original "A Version" transmissions installed. Those have a half-moon gear inside of them (as opposed to a 360 degree round gear in the B Version-after MY 2000) and what you are hearing is the sound of each half-moon gear being rotated past its respective 50th tooth and then being pulled sharply back by the black "hydraulic" pushrods.

Please be more specific about what you mean by "arms" and "hinges" so that we can diagnose it properly and devise a fix. Posting a couple of photos would help.

At some point, you will have to re-synchronize the transmissions by spinning each of the V-levers with a cordless drill which you will use to drive the V-levers to the correct position.

The rocking back and forth, if it's occurring when the top is near the completely closed collection, is not caused by a weak or discharged battery. The most likely cause is a result of the B-Pillar microswitch being triggered on and off as the top approaches the completely closed position. That switch can be adjusted by bending the small silver metal arm protruding from it so that it gets depressed/released by the B-Pillar part of the convertible top frame at the correct moment in the sequence.

Your first step is to synchronize the transmissions and then you can try to adjust the B-pillar microswitch to see if you can get it to the optimal position.

Regards, Maurice.
Paulsingh is offline   Reply With Quote