View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulsingh
Thanks guys, I've checked the hand break light and that stays on. So I'm not sure if it's that.

Also when I release the roof from the top/ convertible itself, the windows lower but the top doesn't move. I'm trying this by the convertible switch on the dash by the radio compartment.
Paul:

If you have eliminated the emergency brake light switch and the indicator light is lighting up properly when you pull up on the handbrake, your problem lies elsewhere.

From the symptoms that you describe, the most likely cause is one of the two microswitches that are located inside the latch receptacle in the windshield frame.

There are two microswitches in the latch receptacle assembly. There is one on the left side of the assembly (has a large plunger that juts out when the latch is open). That one controls the 4" window drop that occurs immediately when you pull down the latch to open the top. There is another one on the right side of the assembly, and that is the one that activates the convertible top double relay.

My guess in your case is that it is the latter, and that in all likelihood one of the parallel strips has a hairline crack in the soldered connection. You may be able to repair it by reflowing the solder. You should examine that little assembly with a magnifying glass as the crack(s) is(are) difficult to spot.

Since you are getting the window drop, that is an indication that the other (plunger-type) microswitch is okay.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote