View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
Georg

Hi guys. First post here. I stumbled upon you while looking at options for top replacement. I have a 98 Boxster and have been cursing at having to get out halfway through opening, fold the pvc window and get back in to complete the process. Thought I was an exception but I have discovered I am the rule.

I initially tried the official channels to have the OEM glass window top installed as I had been told by an authorized mechanic at some point in the past that all you need is a 4th frame bar added. The official response was that the solution is not recommended as it has never been tried and it is not certain it is possible.

Then I found various aftermarket solutions (such as GAHH's) that use the standard frame, but my joy was cut short by reports of messed up engine access.

So:

Does anyone have pictures of access with original and GAHH-type top?
If I go for the OEM top with the glass window can I only add a 4th bar or do I need a complete new 4-bar frame as someone said here?
Either way what would that entail? Is it just a matter of mounting an additional bar or entire new frame to the same mounting points or are there more "initiatives" required?

Thanks
Georg is offline   Reply With Quote