Thread: Pca
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
Gator Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I thought joining the PCA was a great idea when I first bought my Boxster - discounts, magazines, all kinds of good stuff, and I like most of the people I met at club meetings and functions.

Unfortunately I will not be renewing my membership when it next expires. As a matter of principle, I will not belong to an organization where not all members are treated equally but are charged the same fee to join. I am referring to the raffles. The prize is an American spec car that must be picked up from an American dealership, basically excluding Canadian members from participating. Yes, there is a cash equivalent prize, but it is worth nowhere near the value of the actual prize. I sent a letter about it to the PCA administration and the response I got was basically "Too bad, that's the way it is". Perhaps if there is ever a Porsche Club of Canada I will consider re-joining.

Uh, dude... Seriously....? You want out because the raffle cash prize is worth less than the car costs in Canada? Did you win the raffle and then get burned? Or did you know this before buying a raffle ticket? Is there a reason you can't take delivery of the car in the USA, and take the car to Canada?

The PCA is paying for that car,. The price and number of tickets being sold is dependant on knowing the final cost. Usually there is a surplus on the raffle sales. But the PCA is non profit so the amount of that surplus must be known before hand, and there must be a plan in place on how those proceeds will be spent on member benefits.

How about looking at it like this. Instead of seeing it as a $50 raffle to win a Carrera GTS + $25K, look at it as a $50 raffle to win $150K.