View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

We got a chance to directly compare my 2000S with my buddy's C4S on a nice little twisy road. We drove down the road and back, switched cars and did it again.

The 17" tires take alot of the edge off the ride. The C4S moves around alot more over bumps in the road. I was surprised, but the Boxster has a nicer ride, even with my row030 suspension.

Both cars corner flat and have tremendous grip. The Boxster is clearly lighter, it feels more eager to be tossed around. I like the Boxster's steering feel, it felt like it was doing more communicating, although the 911 is pretty great too. The 911 can hustle through corners faster than the Boxster could, easily matching the Boxster on grip but with much more power.

The Boxster's power isn't as weak as I had expected it to be compared to the 385hp of the 911. The acceleration of the 911 on an onramp is truely impressive. But the Boxster doesn't embarass itself.

The newer cars have much better engine sound. The 911 is deeper and angrier. Much more like what a Porsche should sound like.

Finally the PDK. It's an incredible transmission. The shifts are so smooth that you can't feel them at all and you don't have to coax it to downshift with an extra long stab at the throttle like an automatic. It just seems to always find the right gear, although the monster engine may be part of that equation. It's great. Having said that, i have no desire for such a transmission in my sports cars. The involvement and satisfaction that comes with the stick shift will never be matched by a car with two pedals. I'll take a stick every time.

Overall, both cars are really fantastic. Very entertaining to drive and satisfying. In the end, I still hold to my original feeling that I like the Boxster better. It's obviously lighter and is happier to rotate. It's slightly more of the sports car compared to the GT of the 911.

My buddy, on the other hand preferred his 911. He liked the ride of my car better, but he's become a big fan of his PDK and appreciates the power difference more than I do.

Last edited by blue2000s; 01-17-2011 at 05:36 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote