View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 05:49 PM   #18
deliriousga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
I'm going to take a stab at changing the oil...There isn't a P dealer around for 200 miles.

1. Are you using Porsche oil filters or one available through Autozone like Bosch, STP etc?
2. Any idea what size Allen wrench you need?

I saw the picture down below...could anyone give me a list of EVERYTHING I will need so I only have to make one trip. I think I know what I need, but I just want to bounce my list off someone else. Thanks!!!
I use the OEM Mahle filters. Same ones Porsche uses without the "double the price" Porsche printed on the box. I don't think you can get any other brands, but I would not risk that. The OEM and Porsche are made to last 30K miles while the regular paper ones on the shelf are made to last 5K miles. You can get the Mahle filters in 3 or 5 packs from www.pap-parts.com (and don't forget the aluminum crush ring for the drain plug Bruce mentioned).

I believe it's a 10mm Allen wrench for the oil drain. Just get a set of sockets that run up to at least 10mm and you'll be covered. You will use them all later if you do the plugs, etc.

You also need an oil filter wrench. Don't get the $50 one from the P-car parts sellers. All you need is a 74mm filter wrench with 14 flutes. Available at most auto shops for about $7-$10. They all use a 1/2 inch rachet.

If you want to really do it right, you need a torque wrench. If you don't have one, they're about $23 at AutoZone for a good one that had "dial and click". They have Ft. Lbs. and Nm on them so you can torque the oil filter case and drain plug properly.

Shout if you need help with anything.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote