View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Dino

"Are these the "science" books that tell us that because we are breaking 100 year records of cold that the planet is getting warmer?"

Some are, yes. We are also setting records for hottest years in other parts of the world.

"Shouldn't there only be record high temps rather than low?"

No, the earth has cyclic weather trends. An extreme in one direction generally causes a swing in the other.

"If we were getting record High temps only would that mean that the planet is getting colder?"

No, the earth has cyclic weather trends.

"Has the planet ever warmed or cooled before US capitalism?"

Absolutely, many times. By the way, there is WAAAAY more earth than the US, you know.

"Would the ice age have melted quicker if we had SUVs then?"

Maybe a little.

"Why was there an ice age to begin with?"

The causes of ice ages are not fully understood for both the large-scale ice age periods and the smaller ebb and flow of glacial–interglacial periods within an ice age. The consensus is that several factors are important: atmospheric composition (the concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane. The specific levels of the previously mentioned gases are now able to be seen with the new ice core samples from the Antarctic shelf over the past 650,000 years; changes in the Earth's orbit around the Sun known as Milankovitch cycles (and possibly the Sun's orbit around the galaxy); the motion of tectonic plates resulting in changes in the relative location and amount of continental and oceanic crust on the Earth's surface, which affect wind and ocean currents; variations in solar output; the orbital dynamics of the Earth-Moon system; and the impact of relatively large meteorites, and volcanism including eruptions of supervolcanoes

"Why will $5.00+ gas prices slow the heat up......

Because it may incite people to do as I did and trade their 16mpg Touareg for a 42mpg A3 TDI. Plus, where I live you pay 21.4 cents per gallon in tax on gasoline. Seems to me the profits from the increase in gas prices is going somewhere else besides the government. Where could that be?? To the oil companies, perhaps?

".......and how will no domestic drilling or any development of our resources keep us from depending on foreign oil?"

Our development of our resources should be the primary focus at this point. Fuel cell technology, solar, tidal, geo-thermal, should all be put to the fore-front of our efforts.

"This assumes we still (and DO) need oil."

For now, yes we do.

"Why put your unquestioning faith in a computer model?"

I have no unquestioning faith. I'm a hard skeptic and take nothing I hear or read on faith. I get my science from scientists, not from political pundits.

"BTW my thermometer has no political bias, thank you very much!"

I'm sure it doesn't but it was curiously quiet last summer.