View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #19
deliriousga

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpt73
I love porsches, since i was 7 years old, but they cannot make a car where electrical components stay working. engine and trans works great but the cost of little electrical problems here and there on my box was enough for me to get rid of my beater. my boxster is my beater now. porsche (when it comes to electrical problems) there is no substitute.
Have to take exception to that one. The reason most Porsches form electrical problems is because the electrical system is ignored and/or the car sits.

Most of the problems stem from dirty/corroded grounds causing components to strain to get the current they need and stress something to the point of meltdown. Keep the grounds clean and your problems are few and far between. I would guess 9 out of 10 owners don't clean their ground points annually as they should, or even know where they are for that matter. Not faulting the owner, it should be a regular maintenance issue listed in the owner's manual.

Another cause of electrical problems is just plain sitting around. When the car sits a lot, the electrical connections corrode more. Even though it's in a garage, it still has the outdoor humidity, etc. to deal with. That and any electrical component that is not used corrodes more quickly. Take a look at any of the electrical stuff you may have had sitting around in the garage for a year or two, especially something connected to a battery and not used. The brass is probably tarnished or corroded.

The two combined can kill electrical components. I had electrical problems in the 928 all over the place when I first got it because the PO put 1000 miles/year on it and never cleaned the grounds. Lights would go on and off, or very dim and gauges would freak. Cleaned all of the grounds and lights are bright and working properly along with all of the gauges.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote