View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #19
Perfectlap

Well the comments that "all you get for an extra $10K" seem to fail to take into account how expensive some of those upgrades are. For starters those seats are ridonkulusly expensive. The old GT3 seats in my car still set you back about $2K.
These second generation GT3 seats probably go for at least $5K a set in the aftermarket. Those 19" wheels which are lighter than the 18" wheels on an S model are also crazy expensive. I recently tried to replace just one of my old Carrera 18 inchers and the cost for one new factory wheel was $900 ($500 used, per wheel). Slap on 19" rubber and those Boxster Spyder wheels easily set you back $6K. That's your extra $10K on the window sticker right there.
Also, Dropping the equivalent weight of an extra full grown adult passenger is no small feat in a sports car. Additionaly, 320 HP is more power out of the box than 99% of the Porsche Carreras ever built. The standard Carrera didn't cross the 300 HP mark until the 997 was unveiled only five years ago. And again that's 320 HP on a very light car that meets all modern day safety requirements with two trunks to boot. That's pretty darn impressive for a modern day RS. Sure its very expensive but not really anymore expensive than all other over-priced Porsches which are regularly outperformed or equalled on the track by less expensive cars. This Boxster Spyder, which in manual gearbox form was faster around the track than a PDK equipped Cayman S, from lap #1 is only going to get better with more power and less weight. That's sounds exciting to me, although I wish they would have come up with a retractable softop that didn't use a motor, some sort of ball bearing/track system to conserve weight but keep practical like you saw on the old Miata.

p.s.
someone give the blonde a sandwich and a protein shake.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-30-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote