View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
jcb986

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I have a marine aquarium and really enjoy snorkeling and diving whenever I can do it, which is only once every five or ten years... mostly because I like to do it on the Great Barrier Reef. I've been twice now and it always leaves me speechless it's so beautiful and complex.

I've always been skeptical of global warming as a permanent trend or shift in climate temps, but seeing coral reefs around the world recede the way they have due to a two degree increase has me rethinking my current position on the matter.

My hope is that we are experiencing just another warming cycle and that technology and communication are bringing it to light far more today than in any cycle before this time.
I am not sure about how much water is the worlds oceans, but I think it's more than 100 gallons, right.

The USGS also estimates that 96.5% of that water is in the planets oceans.

96.5%
X (1,100,000,000,000 gallons per cubic mile)
X (326,000,000 cubic miles)
===============================
= 346,049,000,000,000,000,000 gallons.

So, it really takes a big change to happen over many, many decades. Maybe it's the underwater volcanoes heating up the water. I really don't see how top temperature could effect this much water. I think what's causing most of the damage is chemicals washing off land masses into the oceans...

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote