View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
jcb986

Engine overhauls depend on what's done.

option 1- you pull the engine and decide to go thru it and replace only the worn parts...rings, timing chain guides, seals, main and rod bearings, engine colded dipped to remove all sludge, all gaskets, etc. Magna-flux heads, refinish the valve seats and valves, cam bearings, etc. This can be done for around $2000, engine only. The removal and re-installation will cost more. I would say maybe you will get another 30-40K miles on it.

option 2- do everything above and replace the crank, rods, pistons, chains, etc. Add new heads, since I would not trust old rebuilt heads that have several years of driving on them. Remember, they are made from an aluminum alloy and heat will cause them to crack, usually at a water jacket or exhaust valve guide area. Now you are looking at a $10-12k motor.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote