View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
yelojkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxster
I reread the section on problem areas. I didn't see anything on occurence or % chance of the problem happening.

The price range I'm looking at for a used Boxster isn't too much more than what it would cost for an engine rebuild/swap/etc. It would be nice to know what my odds are that my investment (if you can call it that) is going to almost double in price. Even an IMS prevention repair is pricey.

So what would you say the odds of an IMS failure are? 10%, 20%, 30%...
One can only guess at the odds and it would not be an educated guess at that because Porsche has not publicly declared how many IMS issues they have fixed. We can only say it is a small percent that may seem bigger than it really is when looking at a forum such as this one due to the fact that there are thousands of boxster drivers out there who never have a problem but also never get on a boxster forum and say "I have not had a problem" The guesstimations I have seen seem to be around 1%, which is a very low number unless you are in that 1%!
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote