View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
connecticutporsche

Just bought my first Porsche! a 1997 Boxster.(photo) A few questions for the experts-

Hi Guys!

Just wanted to introduce myself and see if you could help me out with a few things.
I just picked up a 1997 Boxster, w/ approximately 75k miles. The car has a clean car fax and it was very well cared for. A few of the modifications include: L.E.D. tail lights, spoiler, gt3 style body kit, carbon fiber hood, and upgraded 18" Porsche wheels with P Zero tires.

I bought the car knowing it has a few minor (hopefully) issues, and I would greatly appreciate your help!

1) On a cold start, the car puffs white smoke for about 15-30 seconds out of the exhaust. I drove the car about 100 miles home yesterday and the gas may have been sitting for 6 months or so. In my brief research, it sounds like this is normal- should I worry about this?

2) The passenger door will not lock. Is this also a common issue? I've tried the remote, manually inserting the key, and also made sure the battery was fully charged. Is this most likely a broken lock system? I have a replacement part, however it's not from 1997 and the plug has 9 pins instead of 8 (which I know need)... Should I simply replace the lock mechanism?

3) An indicator for the trunk (or is it the spoiler) has turned on and off intermittently, (usually lasts until I begin driving) any way to resolve this easily?

Thanks, I look forward to contributing to a great forum!
Attached Images

Last edited by connecticutporsche; 12-19-2010 at 12:35 PM.
connecticutporsche is offline   Reply With Quote