View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

I am lucky enough to own a Miata (2003 LS) and a Boxster (1999 base)!

There is no doubt that the Boxster is the better car in almost every way but only the Miata brings back the true original feeling of my old Triumph sports cars (TR6 and Spitfire). Also the parts and repairs for the Miata are dirt cheap compared to the Porsche (which is comparable to the costs for maintaining my BMW's).

My advice is to definitely move up to the Boxster. There are a lot of Buyers Guides and other info online but at the end of the day its still all about finding a good used car that's not been trashed by the previous owner.

Drive several and then pick the best one in your price range. Its also worth it to have a pre-purchase inspection done (I used my local Porsche dealer for $175).

I didn't worry about the IMS or RMS problems since there is nothing you can do to predict them and it seems to be a very small percentage of cars. I figured for under $12K its a throwaway if the engine completely fails and I'd just get another one rather than spend $10K+ on an engine rebuild. I mean, I can go through 4 used Boxsters for the price of a brand new one (which I seriously considered buying).

If you can afford a little more money, get an S model, but the base model is still very fast and drives 99% as well as the S for most folks.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-18-2010 at 10:43 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote