View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 04:37 AM   #17
ekam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
I agree about the body being galvanised, but have you seen what the salt does to the underside bolts, hangers, clips, brake calipers / pistons etc. If you do your own maintenance, I found that you spent more time trying to release frozen & broken bolts than anything else

I saw an article in one of the UK Porsche magazines last month where there was a step by step procedure on how to replace the fuel lines that had rusted through...
And some other poor guy was asking where he could get the pipework for his rusted out power steering connection pieces! Now thats the downside of driving in winter.
When I worked in the UK, I found it was cheaper to buy an old clunker and lock your good car away 'till Spring is sprung.
I had no issue removing my stock exhaust 2 years ago after one winter season. In fact my friend was so surprised there were no rusted bolts and everything came off like butter.

Porsches older than 1988 do not use galvanized steel bodies.

Re: rusted fuel lines... hence why I said you need to spray the car & underbody as often as you can if you decide to drive it in the winter.

Last edited by ekam; 12-14-2010 at 04:40 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote