View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
fatmike

A Cayman S is probably going to be my next car too.

I also owned a 335 that I bought new with the intention of keeping for a decade. I was very disappointed in it and I decided to sell it. I actually was contemplating a Cayman S, but opted for a great deal on a used Boxster S.

The 335 is wicked fast. But I found the driving experience to be poor.

It doesn't have "turbo lag" like a Saab from 1995. But it does suffer from poor throttle response. You simply can't rely on the throttle to drive the car thru a corner. This is something the Boxster is exceptionally good at. The BMW shifter was a fight. It never wanted to go into gear. And I had a very hard time driving the 6 speed smoothly. It was comical. Finally the steering assist was way too high, the steering feedback was poor. You would have a hard time holding a steady line through a corner with your foot on the throttle. Hardly a sportscar.

All of this combined to give the car an A+ for straight line grunt, but C's in some very important areas.

I think the biggest flaw though in the 335 is that you could never "push" the car. It just takes all of the fun out of driving it.

/