View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I had a similar thought. I bought my car 5 years ago and it was similar to the one ART0715 is considering, but without the top issue. I paid $21,250. At least I'm better off than the first owner. He paid close to $50,000 and drove it only 30,000 miles - or about a dollar a mile.

That said, my car was garage kept and had all the service records. It looked like a new car after I shined it up. If the depreciation cost for driving it 30,000 miles and almost five years is $10,000 I guess that is not too bad.

I read a lot of posts from owners bemoaning the value of their Boxster today versus what they paid for it new. This really shouldn't come as any surprise. Any new $50K vehicle is going to be worth about half its value in 5-6 years regardless of make or model.

And in the Boxster's case, they were manufactured in relatively high volumes and there isn't anything particularly collectable about them to keep the residual value higher than comparable vehicles from BMW or MB.

As a comparison, I just sold my 2002 BMW X5 for just slightly more than I paid for my used 1999 Boxster. Both were base models without tons of options and both vehicles sold for just under $50K new. The Boxster had 30K fewer miles than my X5 but that was mostly negated by the X5 being 3 years newer. So, at the end of the day, they were within $2,500 of each other which really isn't any big deal at all (its in the noise).
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote