View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #26
johnsimion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Actually, anyone that has an intermediate shaft can (and do) have the dreaded IMS failure; so that is right up to the latest, and shaft-less versions of 2009………….
I can't argue that IMS failure is *possible* for any car up to 2009 -- but I have never read any actual owner reports of an IMS failure since the 2006 IMS redesign. I see fair numbers of failure reports on 2005's and early 2006's, but I have never seen an actual IMS failure report for later 2006's, 2007's, or 2008's from someone who personally suffered such a failure. In fact, I've only seen a couple of engine failure reports for these years at all, and those were both cars being tracked, and the failure was thought to be oil starvation. If you can point me to an IMS failure report for a late-model 987, please do so and I will gladly retract this.

After 9 years of trying and trying to fix the problem, it is logical to think that Porsche would have provided a *better* IMS in the 2006-up IMS's than in the old ones. Not infallible, for sure, but likely better and less likely to fail.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote