Thread: Oil leak...
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
johnsimion

It may not be as serious as you think.

In 2008, I found a similar-sized oil puddle on the floor of my garage following a nice drive with my 99 Boxster, which I had just bought from the dealer a week before). Made me freak out because of all I'd read about IMS and RMS. The car had just gotten the 15K service from the dealer before I bought it. I took the car to an indie who determined that the oil filler tube had a crack in it. When doing the oil change, the dealer just kept pouring oil into the car until it showed full, completely unaware that a good part of the oil was leaking out onto the top of the engine. My spirited drive was enough to make some of the oil spill down the engine and onto my garage floor. The indie replaced the oil filler tube and told me he mopped up about a quart off the top of the engine. The problem never happened again.

This was the same dealer who didn't know how to remove cosmoline from the wheels of my 08 Cayman -- told me I'd have to leave it and they would sand and repaint them.

Fortunately I've had no reason to bring the Cayman back to that dealer for warranty service.

Last edited by johnsimion; 12-06-2010 at 07:32 AM.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote