View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Mike_Yi

It is critical that the inspector is looking out for your interests rather than the interests of the seller. In other words, you don't want to have the owner's normal shop do the PPI. If they "help" the seller sell the car, the seller will likely continue bringing their business to that shop. If the shop reports something major, the seller may never use that shop again. Always choose a shop that has no relationship with the seller.

If you do it long distance, most shops will discuss their process with you in depth. If they don't, find another shop.

Use the findings of the PPI to negotiate price. For example, if the car needs brakes, Genuine Porsche parts (pads and rotors) will cost just under $1000, and that doesn't include labor.

IMO, if you can avoid it, do not have a dealer do the PPI. They hope to sell you some parts and service. So they may tell you stuff is bad that is not. When I bought my car, it had 45k miles on it. The dealer who did the PPI told me it needed a clutch. It's got 65k on it now, and the clutch is still good.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote