View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
ppbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfncpa
I assume the mechanic you hire charges a flat fee? What is the normal price range for that service? Does the mechanic go to wherever the car is or do you need to arrange to get the car to his shop? I wouldn't think a dealer would be very accommodating either way. How much time does a mechanic need to do an inspection? What kind of problems could there be that the mechanic wouldn't catch? What else does a clueless person like myself need to know about the service?
Generally there's a flat fee for a specific type of PPI.

Pre Purchase Inspections can range from $200 to $800 and more, depending on the scope of the PPI.

The best alternative is when the car is brought to the inspector, because that inspector can do his/her work easier generally because of the presence of a lift, special tools, etc. But most inspectors have to be flexible and go to where the vehicle is located. If there is no lift, then the inspector generally brings ramps in order to access the underside.

Dealerships offer PPI services, but it would be unethical for a selling dealer to perform their own PPI.

Each inspector is different, but I take close to 3 hours to inspect a vehicle and then another 3 hours to prepare the final report.

There are several issues that an inspector could miss.
For instance, an internal engine part that has a hairline fracture may work perfectly well when the vehicle is inspected and then may fail soon after.
For the most part an experienced inspector can catch almost any malady in a used vehicle where he/she is experienced.
An example would be an Intermediate Shaft Bearing that I found was bad, during an inspection. You can only see the IMS bearing after removing the transmission, clutch and flywheel, but by knowing what to look (smell) for I was able to catch a small rancid oil leak (with a particular odor) that I was able to diagnose as a bad IMS bearing.

You can check the PPI page of my website: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/PPI_%28PrePurchase_Inspections%29.html for additional information on what a PPI is, the report, etc.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro