View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
KellyC

Great Experience with Porsche & Dealer Today!

Hello All!

I came home very happy from the dealer today, and just thought it deserved a little public attention!

I am new to my Boxster and new to Porsche altogether as of about a month ago. So far it has been great, but I did notice an ugly rattle sound coming from the back of the car. Based on the metal-rattly noise, I guessed it might be a heat shield or something that came loose. So I had the car at one of the local dealers to get a new key made, check on an CEL and investigate the rattle.

Turns out the rattle noise was a catalytic converter - and to replace it, was $1,600!!!!! Crapola!! I know the U.S. mandates a warranty of 8 years or 80,000 miles, so I asked about it. The response was that my car was a 2002, but was put into service in 2001, so the warranty for the cat expired about 14 months ago.

After a bit of "Hmmmm.... Can you guys do anything to help me here.....?" The dealer (Maplewood Porsche in the Minneapolis MN area) contacted Porsche to see if they would offer me anything at all as a courtesy to a new Porsche enthusiast.

The good news is that Porsche is going to give me a new cat completely free, and Maplewood Porsche will install it for me for about $200!

Sweet deal! Especially after looking down the barrel of a $1,600 repair bill....

PS - The CEL was from a missing fuse for the air pump...Strange....But cheap fix, so another win!

Kelly
KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote